A few tidbits of notoriety and accomplishments belonging to my generation, Generation X…
- We were the first “Latchkey” kids. Kids who came home from school to no parents.
- We were the “Baby Bust” generation; when the birth-rate started to drop after the Boomers.
- Gen X was the first generation to sleep together before marriage, with no stigma.
- We were the first generation who grew up watching televised warfare.
- We were the first generation to as a whole not believe in “God”.
- Gen X is the 13th generation since the founding of the USA.
- The Gen X generation is less focused on money and more focused on enjoyment and living.
- We were the first children of mostly divorced parental unions.
- Gen X grew up with a large portion of “negative” type art and movies. For example the old “Devil Child” movies, such as Rosemary’s Baby.
- Gen X was the first generation to have a lesser standard of living than their parents.
- We were the first generation to grow up with the idea of “Mutually Assured Destruction”.
- Gen X was also the first children to grow up with the rise of the computer culture.
- We invented such niceties as Punk Rock and Grunge.
As a whole, Gen X has largely abandoned the previous conceptions of the generations before. They are typically under-employed, highly educated, cynical, and do not want to repeat the mistakes of previous generations. Having grown up in a very “selfish” period of history, they normally do not place money high on the quality of life scale. This also makes Gen X very unpredictable.
We have also come of age, and are now controlling members of our society.