Monday, May 21, 2007

White Eggs and Eris...




Several months back, I felt a little un-creative and decided to do something about it. I longed to recapture that creative drive I had in my younger days, when I drew and painted and generally churned out lots of crazy artistic things (though I was so unfocused they never really went anywhere). I am fast becoming an old man, and my days of being able to do these sorts of things will eventually come to an end. Being the Hoodoo/Shaman/Magi insane person that I am, I naturally turned to what I seem to be able to do the best. I have always been, and still remain, a very good channeler of the Chaos and Discord current that runs through this world. (This became evident to me when I became involved in the old Punk Rock subculture of the early 1980's.)

At this point, I believe a short explanation is in order. The Chaos I am speaking of is not the Chaos one normally thinks of when this word is mentioned. It can be compared to the raw, creative force that drives the impassioned artist, or fills a child with uncontrollable energy. while they are deep at play. It is the force that preceeded all, before the world existed, even the Gods as we know them. In short, it is the unrestrained life force that empowers this reality, and follows no rules but it's own. I channeled this energy very well, sometimes too well for my own good. (Back when I was a snot-nosed Punk, I did not realize the gravity of this concept. Having the benefit of hindsight, I now can see how it all fit together.)

I thought for a while, and decided that I would just go for it and and meditate on the most powerful icon of Chaos that I could find, the Greek Goddess of Chaos herself, Eris. (Had I have thought about it a little more, I might have chosen someone different.) I figured she could give me the jolt of raw creativity which I was craving. I found some quiet time where I was able to get away from everyone, and meditated for about an hour. About 2/3rds of the way through, I consciously imagined myself looking at my impression of what her face would look like. It eventually became very vivid, but not unduly so. I stopped meditating and then went to sleep, thinking nothing more of it. I thought it would probably take several sessions of doing this to have an effect on me.

Boy, was I mistaken! I found myself in a very vivid dream, where I was kneeling on the floor, apperantly in some sort of strange ritual. As it progressed, I realized I was invoking Eris in my dream. It was very clear, and had a real strange feeling to it. Here is where the weirdness starts... at the point in my dream where I said I now invoke Eris, and pointed my dagger, I was rudely awakened by the building's Fire Alarm! I thought to myself, "Gee, this is really strange", and proceeded to go and silence it. Just as I silenced it, and went back to bed... the second my head touched the pillow, BUZZZ! it went off again. It did this three more times, and I eventually had to totally remove the offending detector from the system to get it to stay quiet. I thought it strange, but did not really think much else about it. This having taken place away from home, I got up and drove home the next morning, expecting to have a good story for the wife.

Here is surprise number two. I live in the country. We have a small flock of chickens we raise for the eggs. The chickens I have in my flock are genetic brown egg producers. Here is the surprise. When we went to collect the eggs the next morning, There was a mysterious White egg! After a solid year of egg laying, we have never had anything other than brown, or the green/blue from our single Aracauna hen. None of our hens should have been laying white. Yet another odd synchronistic event. My wife swears up and down it is due to my meddling with things beyond my control, and was more than a little ticked off. As for me, I am not sure what to think.

And last but not least, here is surprise number three. This happened several days after the egg incident. My wife calls me at work and informs me we have a severe ant problem in the dining room. I think nothing of it and tell her to call the exterminator. A few hours later, I get another call, this time from a fairly pissed off wife. She starts off by telling me what the exterminator found. He told her that in his twenty odd years in the extermination business, he had never seen anything like our problem. It seems, the ants were coming into the house to feed on the termite colony that was in the process of forming under our dining room table. He said it had only been there for about a week (about the amount of time since I did my Eris thing).

My wife says that while he is explaining this, she can see the kid's TV show playing in the background. It was an episode of "Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy". Guess who was a character in the story... why it was my good friend Eris! She said she felt like she was being taunted by this obnoxious children's show, as the exterminator explained to her the mechanics of our ant/termite war and the resulting $350 dollars it was to cost. To say she was pissed was an understatement. Yet another set of unexplainable coincidences.

I did another meditation session, this time stating the goals with which I hoped to accomplish and what I expected as a result. No more general invocations for me, Thank you! This final thing seemed to do the trick. The general weirdness subsided, and things seem to be back to normal. At least, the normal which reigns around my house. I have since started producing artwork on a much more regular basis, and have even taken up sculpting, so it seems safe to say that I achieved my desired effect, though my bank-book is $350 dollars lighter.

One other thing did not change... we still have the mysterious white eggs. I also have a much healthier respect for dealings with Eris.

No comments: